Monday, August 13, 2018

Faith and science: Same coin, different sides in search for the Truth, and the truth



An Orthodox Christian perspective on the "conflict" between faith and science.

If you were raised Protestant, and especially the son of an Evangelical/Pentecostal preacher as I was, this is an irreconcilable issue. (And I would add, likely a major factor in people ditching "faith" altogether in many cases).

Generally, this not so in Orthodoxy, which realizes cultural influences and limits of human understanding are mixed into the Bible, as much "words about God" as they are the "Word of God." 

Faith and science, at their roots, both seek truth -- ultimate Truth, on one hand, and empirical truth on the other.

This has been an important element of my new faith for me, ending the former spiritual/intellectual schizophrenia of my upbringing.  This article, from an Orthodox worldview, to me, is remarkably understanding of this search for Truth, and truth:

https://souloftheeast.org/2016/05/13/orthodoxy-evolution/



No comments:

Post a Comment