Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Thirty-four layoffs at The Salt Lake Tribune; me, too

Monday was a sad day. So many veteran journalists, and not a few young, gifted ones, laid off today at the Tribune. 

Me, too. 


Twenty years, during which I was given the opportunity to report and write on a whole lot of beats, and meet fascinating people and tell their stories. Is there anything better? 

So, with some tears, there also is a lot of gratitude.


The notice came by email, a quick, clean cut. I know some of my colleagues resent the impersonal nature of this -- I do not. None of this was judgment of us, or our abilities; it was a matter of a drastic downsizing, pending reorganization of news operations and audience. 

Utah needs the Tribune. My colleagues at the Deseret News, tied to the Trib through the JOA, also need the Tribune. 

So, sure, emotion cannot be rationalized away; one feels as one feels about loss of income, purpose and self-identity. 

But at least, I go out with the journalistic equivalent of the old Spartan admonition of returning with your shield, or on it. I've done some of my best work this year, and a couple examples (I hope) will run in the coming days as a sort of bookend to my Trib career. 

What is ahead, I don't know. But I have faith that whatever that is for Barbara and me, we will not be alone.

After all, saying you believe God is with you in good times is easy; knowing He is in tough times? That's where, hopefully, we "comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height" of His Love. (Ephesians 3:18)

All the best to those who remain. You are in my prayers, and my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment