Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Tribune layoffs aftermath: the reeling stops, clarity settles in

Midweek of the Salt Lake Tribune layoffs aftermath. The reeling has stopped, and clarity of purpose, at least short-term, has replaced it.
Been a whirlwind of activity since Monday, arranging finances, medical insurance for both myself and Barbara, networking for possible freelance writing/editing gigs, and doing our own "right-sizing" on the domestic budget.
When you are forced to get down to it, it's surprising how many of those previously "automatic" expenditures you don't need to make, and to actually start better monitoring spending, groceries, travel, etc. Whole new world, and I have found, not entirely a scary one out there.
Still have several stories in the can the Trib likely will run over the next week or so (kinda like being a ghost, lurking around, looking for the light). I believe they will be some of my better work, so a bittersweet, but nice way to go.
And, I haven't been alone in this. My sweet wife has been brilliant, and encouraging; my kids, even the grandkids, supportive; fellow members of the "Trib 34" (aka,
#tribrightsizedmetoo) and those editors and colleagues still rattling around in the newsroom at 90 W. 400 S., sharing practical and emotional support; and my brothers and sisters in faith.
Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment